This type of braces are classic orthodontic solution. They are fixed to the outer side of the teeth (visible). Their advantage is the speed of treatment and capabilities. With this type of braces a lot of orthodontic problems can be cured – from alignment imperfections to occlusion problems. The archwire moves the teeth in the desired position.
This type of braces places on the visible surface of the teeth but have different technology compared to the classic metal vestibular braces.
What is self-ligating braces?
In principle the treatment with braces is consisted of so called braces which are glued to the teeth and the archwire which moves the teeth to the desired position by applying force. In classic braces the archwire is fixed with rubber rings or thin metal wires called ligatures. They don’t allow the braces to freely move along the archwire which has negative effect. The self-ligating braces don’t need ligatures. The integrated clip is slid over the inserted archwire.
What are the advantages compared to the classic braces?
- Shorter periods of treatment due to the less friction of braces to the archwire
- Less visits to the dentist due to unnecessary change of ligatures
- Shorter periods of treatment due to simpler and faster change of archwire
- Comfortable to wear – no sharp edges
- Reduced feeling of tightness
- Better oral hygiene